…Not that I need to force it. I was meant to be a fuzzy pen holding, knee high wearing, jeep driving babe of the 90’s. Found this fantastic fabric at my fave JoMar and knew I had to make a Cher Horowitz mini. My boyfriend loves it.
A friend at work challenged me to make a Hunger Games inspired knit vest. I love being asked to make new things, so I happily accepted.
I’m super pleased the end result was less Katniss-the-archer and more sexy-Jennifer-Lawrence. Mine is less appropriate for hunting, and more suitable as a wear-to-work or for a night on the town.
Rather than making a literal interpretation of the Katniss cowl, I made a more fitted, flattering scarf/vest. Where many other knitters are interpreting Kaniss’ armor as a chunky piece of outerwear, I decided to turn it into everyday knitwear. This is a fun piece you can layer like a pullover sweater or cardigan—and add instant edge to any outfit. Love!
I made this vest from an original crocheted pattern that’s not for sale. It’s made of a wool/acrylic blend.
New silky purple number I made by modifying this Burda Style pattern. I scored the fabric at Jomar for $1 a yard—it was marked as Michael Kors. Ignore my wild hair and make-up free face.
My little booth at the #craftybalboaholiday fair. I had so much fun selling my knitwear, and thanks to my bestie @leahKauffman for keeping me company all day.
My take on a knitwear take on a turban.
Fresh cowl with hot pink roving yarn.
A little hand made hat and scarf action keeping me warm in Tahoe. And a special cameo from @bhcassidy.
Here’s promo for the Crafty Balboa Holiday art fair, December 13. I used yarn scraps to make a bunch of pom poms, then hot glued them to thumb tacks. Totally a great way to use up some old yarn, and make a cute giveaway. Oh! I also cut up used wine corks for pin-backs!
Mid-Centry Modern inspired kitchen table! The details of my DIY to come …
My first maxi dress! I cranked this dress out in under 4 hours. My partner Brian went to play records, I stayed in and crafted a new dress! This pattern was super simple. I traced a tank top for the top, added small darts to the bust, and just let the bottom flow. I lined it with a light grey satin, and kept the lining shorter than the maxi dress—subtly sexy when the light catches the dress & you can see my thighs.
Here I am mellow in yellow. I created this dress using my favorite bodice pattern, and adding a skirt with pleats & a hidden side zipper. I get more compliments wearing this dress than anything else I own!
This fabric was a true find. I have no clue what the blend is, but I found it in the upholstery section of Jomar—pretty sure it was intended for drapes. My materials cost to make this dress was less than $15.
This dress does the body right: form fitting, flattering, chic & relatively timeless. I pieced the fabric together so the black dots cluster around the waist, making a great hourglass illusion & classic silhouette. I make this dress office appropriate with a cropped blazer, and happy hour chic by pulling my hair up and showing off the scooped back.
I tend to go for longer hemlines—Leah thinks I could have hacked off about 20 inches to show off her gams :-) Next time!
My first homemade crop top (without a pattern)! My bestie-muse Leah Kauffman models it outside of our Old City home. I crafted this yellow top our of stiff linen to give it an architectural shape, and lined it with soft satin. The fabric is another Jomar steal, coming in around $2 a yard.
Sewing is my favorite maker project. I used 2 patterns to stitch this jersey blend together, and lowered the back. This style of dress has become my signature pattern. There’s a slight scoop neck, and a flat front that allows the dress to show my shape. It’s a summer favorite!
I DIYed by sewing pieces from NewLook pattern 6805 and 6557. Found the fabric at Jomar for a dollar or so a yard.
Years later and I’m still not sick of the strange log hanging above my kitchen table. Loving my log, but needing a refresh for the epiphytes. Recently I had a bright idea (catch my pun) to turn my log garden into a log chandelier.
Voila! A few hollowed out light bulbs later, & I’ve got a bright new look for the kitchen, without an increase to my PECO bill.
I’m happy to report my epiphytes & other hanging plants are alive & well, just relocated :-)
Here’s how I DIYed:
Not sure if this is a legit fear or not, but I was afraid to breathe in the powder from inside the light bulbs—hence the needle-nose bandit look.
First Step: Bust off the glass top of the bulb. I used a small screw driver & needle-nose pliers to work off the glass. Work over a towel so the glass doesn’t bounce off your table.
You’ll need to use your screw driver to break the interior filament. Just jam it in. Work your screw driver around the edge to make a smooth top. Shake out the broken glass from inside.
Pour a little salt in the bulb & shake it around. This will scrub off the powder. Dump it out. I also used a q-tip to scrub out any leftovers.
Use a nail to careful puncture two holes in the soft metal at the top. Thread thin wire through it.
Voila! Lovely little vase.
And the final result!